Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thursday, October 29 (PM) Update

During the day today the following ever so small (baby steps, millimeter progress) have occurred.

Carolyn has been taken off of the medication that has kept her in the coma. And her pain is being controlled only by the pain medication. Phil, her respiratory therapist asked her to node if she heard him. She did this. He put his fingers in her hands and asked her to squeeze his fingers. She could not do this. He reminded me that we look for small gains. When Nancy took her hand and told her she was there Carolyn opened her eyes and tears flowed from her eyes and down her cheeks. Then closed her eyes again like she was out. Nancy just stroked her head and reassured her of our love and the love and prayers of so many. Both Nancy and Ashley wept with this recognition from her.

Phil also said the staff takes their queues from the patients about where they are and what the staff should do next. I am so grateful that we have the staff we do. They are really skilled and have enough experience to know how to read the little ques so they can keep the patient moving ever so slowly forward. We have come to love and appreciate them.

Her vital signs are still stable, except the slightly elevated temperature. They tell us they are 'cautiously optimistic.' She is still very, very sick and is as yet 'not out of the woods.'

We are grateful for your support. We love you and pray for you.

Val and Nancy

7 comments:

  1. Oh Carolyn, don't cry! Awww....this brought me to tears. Bless her heart! I'm so glad she's at least still responding. Ooo...I just want to be there to hug you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I love you Bunches of Oats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience. I think it's wonderful that she was able to nod her head! And I'm hoping she was filled with tears because she felt the love of her mother, and not because she was scared. Hope to keep hearing good news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom has been keeping me updated and I've been watching the blog and praying hard for Carolyn. I am so glad to read about these small but important steps forward for her. We'll keep praying for her from Ohio! Love you all.

    Love,
    Jessica (Hesterly) Gowdy

    ReplyDelete
  5. With tears in my eyes, I am grateful that she is improving and touched by that story. Don't cry Carolyn.. you have MANY MANY people who are praying for you and love you very much. :)

    :)
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn,

    We are thinking of you here in boring, dreary England. There's sunshine in my heart and I'm sending it you. Me and Lydia love and miss you so much. I hate to think of those tears falling down your face because you were scared. I just hope they were tears because you can feel all the love from everybody. We're all waiting for you to get better (at your own pace)and we can't wait til you visit. Sending love and prayers.

    Patricia and Lydia, Burnley UK. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Val and Nancy
    Thank you so much for these good updates.
    It makes us cry and smile and rejoice that she is
    better today than before.
    We will continue to pray for you all.
    Love the Sanchez Tribe

    ReplyDelete