Monday, October 26, 2009

I just want to paint her toes..."The Office"

Something a little lighter...
The other night as several of my sisters & I went in & out of the room, we noticed Carolyn's toe nail polish had almost warn off. As I left my house yesterday, I hurried & grabbed a bottle of finger nail polish in a light tan color. As I gowned & went into her ICU room, I put it in my pocket. I pulled it out & asked the nurse if I could paint her toe nails. Ashley said, 'well what color", I said, this color, she responded emphatically "she'll hate that color, why didn't you bring something brighter, like hot pink." Well, you have to know that to GET to Carolyn's toes, I would have to bend WAY over & under this life support bed, & honestly almost have to lay upside down on my back to get too. Now this alone would have been a site it self...This bed that costs $2,000 a DAY to use. I asked the nurse if I could paint her toes. She just looked at me & said, "um, I don't know about that" I said, I promise I'll be careful." And then I realized, it wasn't so much about the logistics of painting her nails, but about the frightful, nightmarish possibility of SPILLING the nail polish on this MUCH COVETED BED, one of the only THREE in the state of Utah....can you imagine, this engineering master piece with dried nail polish spills on it, just so some crazy sisters could make themselves feel better, by painting their comatose sisters toes. funny huh? To me, that thought just struck me as funny...Silly ol' us. Silly ol' sisters, just wanting to doll her all up.
Another funny thing. Last night, I realized that Carolyn had missed last weeks episode of the "Office." So, I thought I would take it upon myself to catch her up. It was great, whatever I missed, Carolyn's night time respiratory nurse Jared (who, I was trying to set Carolyn up with, until he told me he was married with 3 kids), filled in, so funny. I bet she was laughing SO HARD inside her head. She is SO funny & loves so much to laugh... oh our Sweet Carolina, we can't WAIT to laugh with you again.
Karen

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been in contact with Carolyn much since High School, we just reunited on Facebook, this whole story reminds me of Carolyn. Always so put together and full of life, laughing at everything. My prayers are with Carolyn and the entire family.

    ReplyDelete