Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday, October 30 (PM) Update

As I talked with the nurse this afternoon, we talked about those things I have been sharing with you. Carolyn contines to make small gains. The staff continues to carefully remove her from the anesthetice (this process will take about another 72 hours.) She is going to be really frightened. This is because as she wakes up she will be disoriented and frightened because of tubes in her nose and throat and off of the other things she has attached to her body. How she responds to this very foreign environment will be extremely critical.

Her vitals continue to be stable. The first results from the culture that was taken last night is showing that there is still no sign of bacteria. She continues to go in and out of sleep. She appears to be recognizing people and responding to them. Her temperature contines to go up and down. (This tells the medical people that she is still under the influence of the H1N1 flu.

As I thought about what she will be experiencing the next 2-3 days, I could not help but think of the atonement of the Lord, Jesus Christ. The atonement has not only a redemptive side (that is the ability to allow us to over come sin through repentance), but it also has an enabling side. That is the Savior can literally enable us beyond ourselves at times like this and help us as we suffer any pain or sickness. The Prophet Alma in the Book of Mormon taught:

11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. (Alma 7:11)

I am convinced Carolyn is going to need this side of the atonement to navigate the next several days. There are few young women as pure as she is and as worthy of this blessing as she is. She will also need all of our faith and prayers. I believe the Savior is caring her on his shoulders and that he will continue over the trying days.

I am grateful to have an understanding of the Savior's atonement and I get great strength from what I know about the knowledge that has come to us through the restoration of His Gospel to the earth about Him and His atonement. I know Carolyn has this same faith -- that is why she went on her mission. It is my prayer that all of us will be brought closer to the Lord, Jesus Christ and understand more completely His atonement through this experience.

I love you and Nancy and I pray for you daily.

Val and Nancy

2 comments:

  1. I am excited to hear she will awake soon, but am also hoping it isn't too much of a shock for her. I remember when I went under for nasal surgery (nothing near this but I can slightly understand) when I awoke I had all these tubes and such in my nose and I was really scared. I had no idea what was going on. Bless her heart having this happen being out for over a week. Poor girl. Hang in there, Carolyn!! It will all go away in a matter of moments when you awake to your family. Just know that the feelings go away, the burning goes away, and it only lasts for what seems moments in your healing process. I love you Bunches of Oats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This evening updates are the first thing I read in the morning. And today I woke up to good news again. I cross my fingers every day for progress and babysteps.
    Carolyn, keep going, you are doing so good. Please don´t be scared, take one day at the time, and remember that you have so many people loving you, and we will all help you trough this time!
    I miss your cute smile, and your hugs, they always made my day.

    ReplyDelete