Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday, October 30 (AM) Update

It is 5:00 AM and I just spoke with the nurse before they began their shift change. If I waited any later I would talking to a nurse who had just come on duty and I wanted information from a nurse who had been with for Carolyn for a few hours -- hence the early morning hour.

Here is the report the nurse gave me this morning:

Her vital signs remain stable, except for the temperature and it went up again in the night. They were able to get it under control with Tylenol. Additionally, they (the medical staff caring for her) have taken a culture and are sending it to lab -- this is precautionary to insure that nothing has happened since they took the last culture several days ago.

She had a goods night rest.

At about 3:00 AM they observed that she was beginning to nod in a way that indicated she is waking up. They have changed the sedation medication to a more mild form.

She is now able to squeeze the fingers of the nurse and appears to be understanding them better as they talk with her.

It is now 11:30 AM and I just returned from running some errands. Since the information above, Carolyn was allowed to sit up for about 30 minutes and she was asleep for most of that time. She now better responding to commands like wiggle your toes, raise your eyebrows, squeeze my finger. She became exhausted when they asked her to raise her arm, although she accomplished the task. The IV's (intravenous tubes) have been in her neck and they are in the process of moving them to her arm. I will more tonight about the status of the x-ray for today. Again, these are small things, but they are moving in the positive direction.

We love each of your for your prayers and support.

Val and Nancy

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of your updates. I and my family continue to pray that Carolyn continues to find inner strength to heal. We also pray for your family's strength and wellness to care for her. A family's love is strong. It resembles the love God has for His Children, as she is one of his very special ones indeed. God Bless, KH (KP's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, you are being so strong. You probably are so frustrated being in your state that you refuse to do anything less but try to get well faster then anyone expects. Bless you're heart. I love you Bunches of Oats!! Praying for you today that you get some rest but continue to be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, it is so great to see that when I turn the computer on after tea (time difference) I hear you are doing well. Your family are amazing at giving us all updates. When you wake properly you are going to be so proud of what they have done through all this. Me and Lydia are praying for you everyday and we love and miss you.

    Patricia and Lydia, Burnley, UK. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for keeping us all updates. Your entire family has been and continues to be in our thoughts and prayers! (I finally figured out how to post a comment!!)

    Allison Bird

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Val, so very much for helping me get on here. I am so grateful to be able to see how Carolyn is doing. She is so blessed to have such a wonderful family, but then she is a pretty amazing girl, so she fits in well with you all.
    Andre sends love, and rest of family are praying as well. I know Angelique comes on, and checks , because she kept me informed. I know how busy you all are, but when you can, please tell Carolyn that her Tammy pal sends loads of love, Yvonne( in Cornwall)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job Carolyn! This is great progress. Keep fighting and stay strong. Don´t use all your energy, save some so your family can see the progress as well. You know, I am so happy that your family is keeping me updated, I check on you several times during the day.
    Just talked with my mum, and my family wan´t to tell you to keep fighting.
    I love you sweetheart. Stay strong

    ReplyDelete