Wednesday, November 4, 2009

She finally got her nails painted!

I’ve been meaning to post this for a couple days now, but have been busy with my own little kiddo’s and Halloween……

Originally started on October 29

I am sitting on the plane heading back to my family after a surreal week of being with Carolyn. I have had so many emotions run through me this week but the emotion that I can’t help but to feel the most is humble.

So, I'm going to start with humorous. Karen and I have wanted Carolyn's little toes to be painted and legs to be shaved since she has first gotten in here. Carolyn has always taken pride in how she looks. Just because she's in the ICU, doesn't mean we should stop caring about that. yesterday during one of her bath's I took advantage and shaved her legs. When I got done I looked at the nurse, then I looked and Carolyn and I said, "Carolyn you now have the smoothest legs on this side of the ICU!" The nurse started laughing and said, "I can guarantee they are the smoothest in the WHOLE ICU!" We just laughed and laughed.

Our Mother went with our father for his appointment as he had tumors removed from his lung a couple weeks ago. They are checking up on him to make sure he is healing well etc. I have had the priviledge of being here alone with carolyn. during that time I took advantage and PAINTED HER TOES!!! They look so beautiful. Now she's ready for the ICU beauty pageant :)

This journey has made me think. Carolyn and I had a rough childhood. We never really got along. Even when she was in High school and I had moved out, things were just really rocky. And then something happened. I remarried and she decided to prepare for a mission. I had never been more proud of her knowing of the decision that she had made to serve our Heavenly Father. My parents would wake up faithfully every Wednesday morning at 3am so that they could get online and catch her as she was having her P-Day and checking her emails. I got pregnant with my sweet little Drew and night became sleepless for me. So I decided I would try to catch her too. It was during that time that I got to know her heart and who she is; one of the most incredible women I know.

I couldn’t wait for the day for her to come home from her mission because I knew that things would be different. A little over a month and a half after she got home she came and stayed with me as I had been having complications with my pregnancy of my 3rd son, Ethan. For two weeks, this sweet sister of mine did everything that I couldn’t do. She did my laundry, made dinner, bathed my kids, cleaned my house and made sure that every need me or my family had was met. She never complained just did it. She showed me what true service was. Carolyn and I had the opportunity to talk and work out all of those years of childhood bickering. More than anything during those weeks that we were together our favorite thing to do was sit and watch old movies and eat bluebell ice cream. These are memories that I will always cherish, because that was when I discovered one of my best friends in the world.

I am so grateful for the prayers that have been given on her behalf and on behalf of our family.

Ashley

3 comments:

  1. Everything is better with Blue Bell ice cream! Thank you so much for doing this blog. I am so grateful to be able to keep up to date on her status. Wish I was closer to give you all a big hug. The boys and I will be up there in January and will plan to see you then, especially looking forward to seeing Carolyn. I love you all and we continue to pray for her recovery.
    MarNae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Ashley, your entry moved me. :) It's wonderful when you realize true friendship. I pray that God continues to bless the two of you as sisters and friends. :)

    I love you Bunches of Oats Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange how I don't know Carolyn, but feel like I do as I continue to read her blog. I pray that she continues to improve and gets stronger and stronger every day so she can get out of the hospital and be with her family. And the more I read, the more I find out what an awesome and amazing family she has. I will continue to keep Carolyn in my thoughts and prayers.

    Sending best wishes from Kathy in Oregon...
    kathyp_22@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete