Monday, November 2, 2009

My afternoon with Carolyn..

It was AMAZING!! Honestly, one of the most beautiful sites I have ever seen.
I walked in & her eyes were open, but close as quickly as they open. SHE HAS SUCH BEAUTIFUL EYES!! I know my dad already mentioned, but she speaks in a VERY quiet whisper & is very difficult to understand when she does get words out, usually just one or two words, but not really sentences. We have had to ask her to repeat herself, over & over again. I can tell she is frustrated. She doesn't know where she is. She will ask & we will tell her, but with in a few minutes she asks us again. She tries to pull out her tubes & we have to gently move her hand away from them. Each time explaining why she needs to leave them alone & not touch them. She does this a lot. She is still heavily medicated.
On one side of her cheek, it looks like some tape removed a bit of the skin & that is healing. When they had her in the special bed, laying on her face, they explained that she would likely have severe bruising because of the pressure. I think with time it will heal nicely.
I told her that she has a blog where her friends & family were watching her progress. I tried to explain that she has had over 8,000 hits on her blog. She whispered, "I don't blog." She didn't understand. We can't WAIT until she's awake & coherent enough to understand the blog & read all of your messages of hope & love. Like a child on Christmas morning, I keep trying to imagine what she will do when she reads them all. You all have given her such gifts in words & prayers.
When she looked at me, some of the time I felt like she was looking in my eyes, other times it was like a glassy haze over her eyes. She dozes in & out, mostly out, but we celebrate the "in" times.
I got to help the nurse wash her hair. They haven't been able to wash it since she was hospitalized 10 days ago....I think she felt A LOT better just from having her hair washed. Although it was really hard to do with her just sitting there, & not in a sink or tub. She was soaked by the time we were done, and very tired.
She asked for some grape soda...I don't know where that came from, but after a swallowing test, they said she could have something to drink by mouth. They only had orange, she ended up only taking 2 tiny sips.
To me, the afternoon was a miracle. She has made so much progress, I am so thankful!
I personally can't thank everyone enough for your fasting & prayers in Carolyn's behalf, but also Mom & Dads. I have seen my parents lifted though your faith. There were several times while I was with Carolyn when she was in her coma, that I felt the angels that attended her. She has not been on this journey alone.
Love & thanks to all,
Karen

6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear she is getting better and better. We'll keep praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so glad to hear about all the little steps she is taking!! Please give her hand a big squeeze for us when you can!! She will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless her heart. What a little angel. Carolyn, keep getting better and better. Like your family has said, it's amazing the power of prayer. Just when we think things are slowing down and we all gather to pray, the Lord proves to us yet once again His power in you. I love you Bunches of Oats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep having a verse that runs through my mind when I read the updates...."But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings as eagles. They shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31....As we wait for Carolyn to heal and regain her strength, I know in my heart there will be no stopping her when she is healed. KH(KP's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so happy to hear about all the good news! i was on the bus when i found out her breathing tubes were out and im sure people thought i was strange because i just started smiling to myself! This is great news that she is trying to talk and drink etc. we knew you could do this carolyn! The whole of liverpool stake was asked to remember you on fast sunday, you have a lot of people willing you to be better from all over the world, you are one amazing person, keep going! we love you!
    Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just amazing, again! Good news like this for the last two mornings just makes my day :)
    Even if there is still a long way to go, you are getting there, closer and closer every day.
    I love you :)

    ReplyDelete