Tuesday, November 3, 2009

November 3 (Noon), Update

Carolyn is slowly coming out of the coma, although she does not remember very much. She asked her mother and the nurse several times yesterday if she had been in automobile accident. When Nancy explained that she had the flu she can not remember anything about going to emergency or what happened after that.

She did not sleep well last evening. Her nurse told me that she seemed really agitated, confused and frighened. (This is apparently normal behavior as one comes out of a medically induced coma. Her temperature went down and has stayed down for the last two days.

The nurses aids helped her get out of bed yesterday afternoon and held her as she walked four or five steps. This morning they took out the tube that was in her nose (this was a feeding tube). At this point she does not have any tubes going into her body. She sat up and had soft foods for breakfast.

A couple of hours ago she was moved from the intensive care unit to the intermediate care unit (I think that is what they call it.) We have no idea at this point how long she will be in this unit of the hospital nor do we know what they will expect from from her in terms of gaining strength. Also we have no idea what will enable her to be moved from this unit to the rehabilitation unit. I will report more on this as I learn about it.

All are good signs and she continues to make progress. She is still a very sick girl.

Thanks again for your faith and prayers.

Val and Nancy

5 comments:

  1. Hooray!!! We are grateful for this good news!
    We will continue to pray for all of you. Give Carolyn a hug for us.
    Take good care of yourselves as you care for Carolyn. The Lord needs you all to stay healthy.
    Love, the Sanchez Tribe

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been following Carolyn's blog every day and praying along with you for her recovery, never doubting her remarkable spirit and faith (and yours!) will pull her through. No tubes and out of ICU is very good news and we are cheering and so very grateful. The Lord loves Carolyn and her special family. We do too. Please give Sister Judd a squeeze and hug from President and Sister Jacobsen. We look forward to more good news as we know she is not a quitter. We send lots of love, Charlotte Jacobsen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, I have never been so happy to put the computer on, these millisteps seem to get a little bigger everytime I read this blog. Carolyn, you are a strong fighter (something I never doubted)and I'm so proud of you and the progress you are making. I'll now be praying for you and your family. You and them are an inspiration to me to make my family (small as it is!) a lot better. I'm sending my love and prayers over the ocean. We love you lots.

    Patricia and Lydia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God!!! Carolyn, I read this earlier today at work and I just cried with joy!! David, my CEO, just about jumped for joy when he heard this. :) I love you BUNCHES of OATS!!!! Keep getting stronger!! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! sounds like some great news today.

    I know she still has a long way to go, and we're praying for her and your whole family.

    Much love,
    Karen, Dan and Constance McWiggins

    ReplyDelete