Wednesday, November 4, 2009

November 4 Update

AS you know Carolyn has now been moved from the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) to aunit that is called the "Critical Care Unit". I think I called it something else in previous posts. In this unit a nurse has two or three patients instead of one (as in the ICU).

She is now at a point where she does not have tubes in her. In fact, she does not have any intervanous tubes going into her system. When they give her meds they have left the needle in her arm and give her to them through that needle.

Her doctor called us this morning before Nancy left and gave some more information on Carolyn. He said he was going to have a Dr. begin working with her who specializes in rehabilitation. (I did know there was such a specility.) This Dr. will define how she gets her strength and her motor skills back. He was also going to have some kind of a neuro Dr. begin working with her. This Dr. will help her with her memory and other things related to the mind as she continues to come out from under the sedation.

As she comes out from under the sedation some humorous things have happened. She said to her mother: "Please take me to my apartment". Nancy explained that this was not possible. She waited for a few minutes and asked if she could go to her apartment to get some things. Nancy asked her what she wanted from her apartment and she said she wanted some food. Nancy asked her what kind of food. She said "Pizza".

Two nurses took her for a walk yesterday. They went about 8-10 steps and then turned around and took her back to her bed. This is about how much strength that she has.

She is eating normal hospital food now when she will. For lunch yesterday the only thing she wanted was some jello and then she only ate about 2-3 bites. I am sure here taste buds have been effected by the anesthetic and it will be some time before she is really able to taste foods.

Again we appreciate all your prayers in her behalf. We are at a point now where there is going to be long long recovery time while she continues to get her strength and her memory back.

Thanks for everything.

Val (and Nancy)

3 comments:

  1. Carolyn, my mom and I now for sure that you're going to be okay. ;) Because you asked for pizza. I am thinking back to the night we all spent at WDW with pizza lol. I love you bunches of oats!! I'm having pizza tonight for you as I am standing here at the grocery store laughing crying in the frozen pizza aisle. I think people think Im nuts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What excellent and happy progress! We were all together (without Richard) recently and wondering aloud how we would hold to each other if a similar thing happened in our own family. You have all shown such strength, and what beautiful unity. The Jamisons continue to send their love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to let Carolyn know that me and her other roommates are so excited to see her again. It has been so strange not having her around.. we miss her tons. I am so happy to hear she is doing well! I love you and can't wait to tell you stories about everyone!

    ReplyDelete